Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hillary Kicks Butt on Benghazi

Photobucket













Huffington Post
"With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans," Clinton responded, raising her voice at Johnson, who continued to interrupt her. "Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk last night who decided to kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator."
Clinton continued, defending the State Department's efforts in the wake of the assault. "Honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is people were trying their best in real time to get to the best information," she said.










From MSNBC
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told Clinton that if he were in Obama’s shoes, he would have fired her for what he described as her “culpability for the worst tragedy since 9/11.”

“Had I been president at the time, and I found that you did not read the cables from Benghazi, you did not read the cables from Ambassador Stevens, I would have relieved you of your post,” said Paul during the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing Wednesday. “I think it’s inexcusable,” he continued.

. . . “Their lives could have been saved had someone been more available, had someone been aware of these things, more on top of the job,” said Paul.

Almost immediately after the hearing, Paul began to face heavy criticism himself for what some viewed as too brash an approach.
“I can’t remember another time during a hearing when a senator referred to himself, ‘If I were president,’” said NBC Capitol Hill correspondent Kelly O’Donnell on Andrea Mitchell Reports Wednesday. “You do hear it on the campaign trail. That is really going beyond what we would normally hear.”


Rand Paul Backtracks on CNN, via Raw Story
CNN’s Wolf Blitzer pointed out that the intelligence failures and casualties involving the invasion of Iraq seemed like a greater blunder.

“Yeah, I agree with you,” Paul said. “There is no comparison to a beginning of a war in Iraq as well as the war in Afghanistan. The tragedy of those wars is of a different scale, and I guess we are talking more about a diplomatic mission than we are talking about a beginning of the war.”

But he insisted Clinton was still culpable for ignoring intelligence reports.


















From ABC News
. . . Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., asked why the secretary of state herself did not appear in Rice's place to give those televised explanations to the country.
"Well, I have to confess here in public [that] going on the Sunday shows is not my favorite thing to do. There are other things that I prefer to do on Sunday mornings," Clinton replied. "And I did feel strongly that we had a lot that we had to manage, that I had to respond to. And I thought that should be my priority."






No comments:

Post a Comment