Sunday, September 2, 2012

Paul Ryan Lies About Marathon Race Time

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

gifs via pennywidmore

Paul Ryan Radio Interview with Hugh Hewitt 8-22-12
HH: That’s okay. Hey, in high school, what did you do in high school? Were you a speech and debate guy? Were you a bandie? What were you?

PR: No, I was student government and athletics, honor society, you know, that kind of thing. I was kind of a combination. I was class president my junior year, I was the school board rep my senior year. I lettered in varsity, you know, my first year in high school, mostly soccer and track. I was a distance runner and a soccer player. So kind of well-rounded. I can’t, I can play a cowbell. That’s about it for instruments.

HH: Are you still running?

PR: Yeah, I hurt a disc in my back, so I don’t run marathons anymore. I just run ten miles or yes.

HH: But you did run marathons at some point?

PR: Yeah, but I can’t do it anymore, because my back is just not that great.

HH: I’ve just gotta ask, what’s your personal best?

PR: Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something.

HH: Holy smokes. All right, now you go down to Miami University…

PR: I was fast when I was younger, yeah.


Research by Runner's World Newswire
A spokesman for the Romney-Ryan campaign e-mailed Runner's World today to say Ryan ran Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota, while a college student in 1991.

When asked about Ryan’s finishing time, the spokesman said, "His comments on the [radio] show were the best of his recollection."

Ryan's name does not show up in the 1991 race results provided by Grandma's. Runner's World checked 11 years of results for Grandma's Marathon, from 1988 through 1998, and found a finisher in the 1990 race by the name of Paul D. Ryan, 20, of Minneapolis.

Ryan's middle name is Davis, and he was 20 in 1990. The finishing time listed was 4 hours, 1 minute and 25 seconds.

We are awaiting confirmation from the Ryan camp that the vice presidential nominee is the Paul D. Ryan listed in the race results – and, if he is, whether he ran any other marathons faster than 4:01:25.

The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother Tobin—who ran Boston last year—reminds me that he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family and has never himself ran a sub-three. If I were to do any rounding, it would certainly be to four hours, not three. He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight.
~ E-mail Statement from Paul Ryan to Runner's World

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

















We all know people like Ryan. Pleasant, generally harmless, and also compulsive fertilizers.
As they tell the stories of their life you realize that do all that they'd had to have graduated high-school sometime before they were born.
~ comment by columbiaboy on Globe and Mail

The man claims to be a deficit hawk but he voted to fund 2 unnecessary and murderous wars, plus a seniors drug plan that added together cost hundreds of billions that his grandchildren will have to pay for.
Marathon times is the least of his lies.
~ comment by wolfhall on Globe and Mail

I think it's funny that he went from Ayn Rand being his favorite writer to it now being St. Thomas Aquinas...what a shameless huckster. They do look pretty cool when they stand next to each other. Romney looks like he's got hydroencephalitis and Ryan looks like some South Pacific witch doctor has shrunk his head...the diminshed size probably helps him stick it up Adelson's and the Koch brothers' backsides.
~ comment by The Original Sheriff Pete on Globe and Mail

We are what we repeatedly do -- Aristotle
~ comment by B. Muzed on Globe and Mail
















Remember Rosie Ruiz? In 1980 she was the first woman to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon — except it turned out that she hadn’t actually run most of the race, that she sneaked onto the course around a mile from the end. Ever since, she has symbolized a particular kind of fraud, in which people claim credit for achieving things they have not, in fact, achieved.
And these days Paul Ryan is the Rosie Ruiz of American politics.
. . . Obviously nobody cares how fast Mr. Ryan can run, and even his strange marathon misstatement wouldn’t be worth talking about in isolation. What makes this incident so striking is, instead, the way it resonates with the essential Rosie-Ruizness of Mr. Ryan’s whole political persona, which is built around big boasts about accomplishments he hasn’t accomplished.
~ Paul Krugman in The New York Times

Ryan Marathon Man




No comments:

Post a Comment