Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ted Cruz Surprised by Canadian Citizenship

 photo 5b0df57c-b299-4b3b-ab2c-4e2f65194b4d.jpg

From Examiner
According to United States Constitution, Ted Cruz is a natural born American citizen, and a natural born Canadian citizen. “Natural born” means that one is legally entitled to citizenship at birth.
Ted Cruz has a mother who was a natural born American citizen. She and Ted Cruz’s father, a man who was born in Cuba, both resided in Canada when Cruz was born.
Because Cruz had one parent who was an American citizen, this automatically gave him American citizenship. Because he was born is Canada, this also granted him citizenship as a Canadian.

From Politico
On Monday, Cruz said he would renounce his Canadian citizenship. “I got my U.S. passport in high school,” he said in a statement reported by the Associated Press.
“Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter,” he added. “Now The Dallas Morning News says that I may technically have dual citizenship. Assuming that is true, then sure, I will renounce any Canadian citizenship. Nothing against Canada, but I’m an American by birth and as a U.S. Senator, I believe I should be only an American.”

Reuters
Senator Cruz may have to wait eight months to stop being Canadian

OTTAWA - U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, who says he recently discovered he is likely a Canadian, must win security clearance from Canada's spy agency, fill out a four-page form and then wait up to eight months to sever his ties to America's northern neighbor.
. . . A nonrefundable C$100 ($96) fee is payable in advance.
"It's very, very uncommon ... . I've been practicing 26 years and I don't think I've ever seen anybody renounce it," said Guidy Mamann, an immigration lawyer with Toronto law firm Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada official Remi Lariviere said reasons for renunciation could include running in a foreign election or serving in a foreign military.
































No comments:

Post a Comment