Monday, December 1, 2014

Darren Wilson Resigns from Ferguson Police

 photo 3c377f1a-9ed4-4c0e-96eb-b1d5efcdbf93.jpg

Darren Wilson has resigned from the Ferguson Police Department.

I, Darren Wilson, hereby resign my commission as a police officer with the City of Ferguson effective immediately. I have been told that my continues employment may put the residents and police officers of the City of Ferguson at risk, which is a circumstance that I cannot allow. For obvious reasons, I wanted to wait until the grand jury made their decision before I officially made my decision to resign. It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of the paramount importance to me. It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal. I would like to thank all of my supporters and fellow officers throughout this process.
Source: KSDK

About the threats to other policemen:

Via AP
His lawyer, Neil Bruntrager, told The Associated Press that Wilson decided to step aside after police Chief Tom Jackson told him about the alleged threats on Saturday.
"The information we had was that there would be actions targeting the Ferguson (police) department or buildings in Ferguson related to the police department," Bruntrager said. He said Wilson, who had worked for the department for less than three years, and the city were already discussing an exit strategy, acknowledging that Wilson staying on as an officer there would be impossible.

From St. Louis Today
“As far as the city of Ferguson is concerned we have now severed ties with Officer Darren Wilson,” the mayor (James Knowles) said at a news conference Sunday. “It is important for us to talk about issues directly related to the city of Ferguson and what issues we can directly address as a city moving forward to bring our community together.”
(Mayor) Knowles said Wilson informed Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson of the resignation by telephone. A formal resignation letter was delivered to the city attorney Saturday night, several hours after Wilson’s lawyers released its contents to the news media.
. . . Jackson, who accompanied Knowles at the news conference, reiterated that he will not resign.
The mayor said the city did not give Wilson a deadline to resign. Nor, he added, did the city ask for or pressure Wilson to leave the department.

No comments:

Post a Comment