Friday, August 15, 2014

Journalists Attacked and Arrested in Ferguson MO

 photo missouri-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-re.jpg

On August 13, 2014, police in Ferguson Missouri began to target film crews and journalists, blasting them with tear gas and hauling them to the police station.

Previous Related Posts:
Ferguson Missouri Uses Militarized Police on Protestors


From Huffington Post
Reilly explained that he was working in a nearby McDonald's along with another reporter, the Washington Post's Wesley Lowery, when SWAT entered the premises. Reilly was then ordered to exit.
"They were giving us a countdown like we were 5-year-olds," he explained.
When he didn't leave quickly enough, Reilly said, he was roughed up by an officer and subsequently arrested.
"You know you always see cops yelling, 'stop resisting, stop resisting,' and that's something that happened here -- but I wasn't resisting," Reilly said. "This is just something that these cops yelled no matter what you were doing. I let my arms go limp ... wasn't trying to resist anything."

Wesley Lowery in the Washington Post
During this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.
“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”
And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”
Once at the station, we were processed, our pockets emptied. No mug shots. They removed our restraints and put us in a holding cell. Ryan was able to get ahold of his dad. I called my mom, but I couldn’t get through. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers.
We were in there for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes. Then the processing officer came in.
“Who’s media?” he asked.
We said we were. And the officer said we were both free to go. We asked to speak to a commanding officer. We asked to see an arrest report. No report, the officer told us, and no, they wouldn’t provide any names.

No comments:

Post a Comment