Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mike Brown Memorial in #Ferguson Burns Down

 photo cf75e933-7310-4371-9a37-646d31a0590a.jpg

One of the memorials for the slain Mike Brown burned in Ferguson, Missouri, yesterday. This spurred new unrest and questions about police involvement in the act. Or at least they could have tried harder to put out the fire! By nightfall, more protests began, leading to arrests of course.

One way healing could start would be to arrest the murderer of Mike Brown, police officer Darren Wilson. But so far authorities have shown no sign of arresting their colleague, who is still walking free, although apparently in hiding.

From St. Louis Today
For weeks after the shooting of Brown by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson, burning candles have been part of the memorials near the shooting site on Canfield Drive, but it was unclear if the fire at the roadside memorial was intentionally set or an accident. One photo showed an empty, overturned votive candle next to the burn site.
In a press release, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said the cause of the fire is unknown and authorities are investigating.
Residents of the area gathered at the scene Tuesday morning. Many were upset, claiming the fire was intentionally set by someone in the pre-dawn hours Tuesday. One witness said the fire started sometime after 5 a.m., when he drove by and saw no problem, and 6 a.m., when he saw the memorial ablaze. Another said it started between 6:30 and 7 a.m.
. . . Some began rebuilding the memorial Tuesday morning with a blanket and a new collection of stuffed animals, T-shirts, flowers and one unlit votive candle next to the soot-stained pole.

Video of the fire was taken by Piaget Crenshaw and posted on Facebook. She was also a witness to the killing of Mike Brown in the same place on the street. Unfortunately, her assumption that police burned the memorial down on purpose drew criticism and may have tainted her credibility as a witness. However, few have denied that the white policemen on the scene stood and watched the memorial burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment