Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Joni Ernst and the #BreadBagShoes Meme ~ Updated!

 photo b6154615-e5a1-4d39-938c-c01a9a71159f.png

Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa gave the main GOP response to the President's 2015 State of the Union Address last night. She's the gal who campaigned on the fact that she has castrated hogs on her family farm because apparently that kind of distasteful macho boast appeals to Tea Party wingnuts. Last night I'm sure Ernst hoped to shine on national television, yet she managed to sound as crazy as her cosmic doppelganger, Michele Bachmann. It all comes down to the phrase "Bread Bag Shoes," which is now a hashtag and a meme.

Via Yahoo News
“You see, growing up, I had only one good pair of shoes. So on rainy school days, my mom would slip plastic bread bags over them to keep them dry,” Ernst said. “But I was never embarrassed. Because the school bus would be filled with rows and rows of young Iowans with bread bags slipped over their feet.”

Does anyone really believe this story? I certainly don't. And Ernst manages to sound as if she's just so happy to have busloads of poor children surrounding her in Iowa. But I bet that won't bother her when she votes against financial help for those same children, because that's what Tea Party members do. She is just like Senator Paul Ryan, who touted giving children an empty lunch bag instead of a free lunch. Symbolism and Irony are wasted on these people.





UPDATES:

Someone wrote a song that now has 10,000 hits!





Andy Borowitz put a comedy spin in the New Yorker:

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) shared more folksy stories of her childhood on Wednesday, telling reporters that she used to wear a bucket on her head for no apparent reason.
“I’d be walking outside our house and see a bucket lying there, and I’d say to myself, ‘That’s a perfectly good bucket, I think I’ll put it on my head,’ ” she said. “It wasn’t because I needed a hat or anything. I must have had, oh gosh, a half-dozen hats or so. I just wanted to wear a bucket.”
Ernst said that during her youth, she was known for poking a hole in a large piece of corrugated cardboard and wearing it as a poncho.
“I can’t for the life of me tell you why I did that,” she said. “I just liked the look of it, I guess. Nobody paid much attention to it. People sure don’t notice your cardboard poncho when you’re wearing a bucket on your head.”



Ex-MSNBC pundit Keith Olbermann put his own spin on the meme by quoting Monty Python from the skit The Four Yorkshiremen ~ via The Gateway Pundit





















Also, she apparently stole the idea from The Simpsons, which is hilarious. Thanks, Fox!
























No comments:

Post a Comment